Thank you for your interest in the OHS Volunteer Program!
Our dedicated volunteers truly embody the mission of the Ohio Historical Society – they enable the community to connect with the past to understand the present and create a better future. Volunteers enable OHS to provide educational and public programming, maintain collections, and provide research and reference services. Administration, Archaeology, Digital Services, Maintenance, and Visitor Studies are just some of the departments that volunteers support. No matter your interest or schedule, there is a place for you at the Ohio Historical Society!
History Lovers ages 12 and above are encouraged to apply to become a Volunteer. Volunteers ages 12 – 13 must participate with a parent or guardian during their volunteer shifts. Interested candidates ages 12 - 17 must complete and submit a Youth and Teen Application form. Please note a parent or guardian must sign this before participation in the Volunteer Program. Adults ages 18 and over must complete an Adult Application form.
Completed forms can be returned via email, mail, or fax.
Email Annamae Kacsandi, Lead Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Mail to: Volunteer Department
800 East 17th Avenue, Columbus OH 43211
Fax: (614) 297-2300
Once applications are received, phone interviews will be scheduled to determine placement and availability. From there background checks are required for those applicants interested in positions that interact with the public or sensitive information.
The Ohio Historical Society is currently recruiting. Open positions include:
- Education Program Volunteers - Perform and present educational material for school children and groups starting this fall. Volunteers act as first or third person interpreters to teach Ohio history. Programs occur Wednesdays – Fridays. Background check required for this position.
- Ohio Village Volunteers - The Ohio Village is open for the first time in a decade! Become a “resident” in our Ohio Village Wednesdays – Sundays as a third person costumed interpreter. Background check required for this position.
Benefits of Volunteering
In addition to a rewarding and engaging experience, Volunteers can also enjoy the following benefits:
- Free Admission to the Ohio History Center and Ohio Village (Open Seasonally)
- Museum Store Discount
- Education and training opportunities
- History Lover’s Membership for Individuals who contribute at least 60 hours in a calendar year
- Echoes, Membership Newsletter
- Volunteer Newsletter and Monthly E-Blasts
- Participation in RSVP for volunteers ages 55+
- Friends, Fun, and Great Events!