Each year, the State Historic Preservation Office recognizes achievements in historic preservation by presenting awards in Public Education and Awareness, and Preservation Merit. Nominations are due June 1. Click here for the nomination form.
The Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs, and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional, or state level.
The Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio's prehistory, history, architecture, or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating, or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support, or service, and furthering preservation at the local, regional, or state level.
Click here to see a list of all past award recipients.
Public Education and Awareness
City of Shaker Heights, Shaker Heights Landmarks Commission and the Shaker Heights Public Library for creation of www.HistoricShaker.com
Auglaize County Commissioners and Garmann/Miller & Associates for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1894 Auglaize County Courthouse in Wapakoneta
Famicos Foundation, Marous Brothers Construction, City Architecture and Ted Sande, AIA for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1904 Doan School at 1350 East 105th Street, Cleveland, as the Doan Classroom Apartments
Central State University and LWC Incorporated for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1913 Emery Hall, Central State University in Wilberforce
Youngstown State University, US Campus Suites, LLC and City Architecture for the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the 1923 Erie Terminal Building, 112 W. Commerce Street in Youngstown
Cincinnati City Schools and CR architecture + design for the preservation and rehabilitation of Hughes STEM High School, 2515 Clifton Avenue in Cincinnati
Jamestown Area Historical Society, Greene County Commissioners and the Silvercreek Township Trustees for the preservation and rehabilitation of the Jamestown Opera House, 19 North Limestone Street in Jamestown
The Chesler Group, Inc. and The John Raymond Wean Foundation for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1868 Market Block Building, 147 West Market Street in Warren
Paulding County Carnegie Library and All Trades Historical Restoration, LLC for the preservation and rehabilitation of the Paulding County Carnegie Library in Paulding
Emily Rauh Pulitzer, Cincinnati Preservation Association and ArchitectsPlus for the preservation and rehabilitation 1938 Frederick and Harriet Rauh House at 10068 Leacrest Road in Woodlawn
Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center and LCA Associates for the preservation and restoration of the 1863 Rutherford B. Hayes house, Spiegel Grove in Fremont
Ohio Wesleyan University, Schooley Caldwell Associates and Lincoln Construction for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1931 Stuyvesant Hall, Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware
Cleveland State University, Arkinetics architects + urbanists and Liberty Development Company for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1913 Union Building at 1836 Euclid Avenue in Cleveland
Neil and Patricia Coleman and John R. Ankrom Architects for the preservation and rehabilitation of the Walke House at 381 Western Avenue in Chillicothe
City of Columbus, the German Village Society and the German Village Commission to recognize the 50th anniversary of the creation of the German Village Commission
Larry Addis for his dedication to the preservation of Zion Wakefield Lutheran Chapel, at 7757 Greenville-Celina Road in Greenville