On Saturday, June 1, 2013, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Ohio Village in Columbus will be transformed into Storybook Village for a day, where children can meet Curious George, The Cat in the Hat, Maisy, Rapunzel and the Witch, Mother Goose and other characters from favorite children’s books.
A collaboration of the Ohio History Connection, Columbus Metropolitan Library, PNC Bank, Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus/OSU and the Mascot Organization, Storybook Village is a special event promoting early childhood literacy.
“Early literacy is such an important step in developing a lifelong excitement about learning,” says Jackie Barton, director of education and outreach for the Ohio History Connection. “Storybook Village is designed to generate children’s excitement about reading, imagination and learning.”
Meet Characters From Children’s Books Throughout the Day
Many favorite characters from children’s books will be on hand throughout the day, says Anthony Gibbs, community programs manager for the Ohio History Connection. “The Gingerbread Man will be doing his best to stay away from the baker, and Hansel and Gretel will be trying to find their way back home.” Visitors can:
• Enjoy photo opportunities and special activities throughout Storybook Village.
• Take part in story times hosted by Columbus Metropolitan Library every 30 minutes from 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Stop by a community resource fair featuring the library’s Ready to Read Corps, learning checkups by Columbus Kids, and a financial literacy program by Columbus Metropolitan Library and PNC Bank.
• See the Ohio Village Muffins play base ball by 1860s rules at 2 p.m. Kids can take their turn at bat after the game.
• See, listen, and read about the adventures of Lewis the Duck, through the Homewood Suites by Hilton Books for Kids Reading Program. Books in a series documenting his travels will be given away while supplies last.
Also expected to be on hand are Clifford the Big Red Dog, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Llama Llama, Brother and Sister Berenstain Bear, the Three Little Pigs, Lilly, Cinderella, and Little Red Riding Hood.