Major events are planned at the Statehouse and the Ohio History Center in Columbus March 26-29 marking Ohio’s first state-level commemoration of Vietnam Veterans Day, which became a reality when Gov. John Kasich signed Senate Bill 134 into law in 2012.
Traveling Vietnam Memorial
The Ohio History Center will host The Wall That Heals, a half-scale traveling replica of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C., from Tuesday, March 26, through Friday, March 29. See The Wall That Heals on exhibit on the grounds of the Ohio History Center at I-71 & 17th Avenue in Columbus free 24 hours a day from 10 a.m. Tuesday, March 26, through 5 p.m. Friday, March 29.
Panel discussions at the Ohio History Center Tuesday, March 26, through Thursday, March 28, will focus on the experiences of Vietnam veterans and offer a perspective on the war and its aftermath. A memorial ceremony at The Wall That Heals at 4 p.m. on Friday, March 29, will conclude the four-day commemoration.
Enjoy Free Admission to the Ohio History Center Museum
During Ohio’s Vietnam Veterans Commemoration from Tuesday, March 26, through Friday, March 29, 2013, the Ohio History Center museum will be open free to all visitors from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
Schedule of Events
Vietnam Veterans Commemoration
Daily March 26-29
• Special exhibits at the Statehouse Museum Gallery and Ohio History Center in Columbus and Motts Military Museum in Groveport
• The Wall That Heals at the Ohio History Center
• Free admission to the Ohio History Center 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 26
• 10-10:45 a.m.: Opening ceremony. Ohio History Center
• 11 a.m.-Noon: A panel of combat and support veterans will describe their experiences. Ohio History Center
• 1-5 p.m.: Veterans history project living-history interviews. Ohio History Center
Wednesday, March 27
• 10-11 a.m.: Panel discussion on the Vietnam POW experience. Ohio History Center
• 12:30-1:30 p.m.: Panel discussion on women veterans’ experience. Ohio History Center
• 1-4 p.m.: Veterans history project living-history interviews. Ohio History Center
• 5:30-9:30 p.m.: Reception, dinner and guest speakers. Statehouse Atrium. For details and to register, visit www.dvs.ohio.gov.
Thursday, March 28
• 10-11 a.m.: Panel discussion on the aftermath of Vietnam. Ohio History Center
• 3-3:45 p.m.: Closing ceremony. Statehouse Museum Gallery
Friday, March 29
• 4-5 p.m.: Retiring of The Wall That Heals. Ohio History Center
For More Information
The Ohio Department of Veterans Services website contains a special section with the most current schedule of events and other details of the commemoration. For more information, contact the Ohio Department of Veterans Services at 614.644.0898 or visit www.dvs.ohio.gov.