The extensive stair step canal lock walls, among the best preserved in Ohio, were part of the Miami and Erie Canal System, which opened for navigation in 1845 and connected Cincinnati and the Ohio River to Toledo and Lake Erie. For decades, the canal provided Ohio with valuable transportation and waterpower. The lockmaster's house, now a private residence, and a dry-dock basin for boat repair are still visible. While on your visit, take five lock steps down to Loramie Creek, where the abutments for the aqueduct remain.
Please Note: Lock 1 is currently undergoing a restoration/reconstruction project. The site currently has limited to no access. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more information, please contact Johnston Farm & Indian Agency.
Handicapped Accessibility: Ohio History Connection strives to meet ADA requirements. However, historic structures and outdoor areas provide challenges that make it difficult to provide complete access to all visitors. Please call the site with specific questions and concerns.
Near Lockington Locks Historic Site View Northwest in a larger map