Fort Amanda Memorial Park
Originally built in the fall of 1812 by Kentucky troops under the command of Lt. Col. Robert Pogue, the fort was enlarged to almost double the original size during the spring of 1813 by Ohio militia soldiers under the command of Capt. Daniel Hosbrook. A fifth blockhouse was added during the second phase of construction as well as several cabins and storage buildings. The walls stood 11 feet above the ground.
Located on the banks of the Auglaize River, Fort Amanda served as a major supply depot during the war. A diary kept by Ensign William Schillinger of the Ohio militia gives us a daily account of weather conditions, activities at the fort and his personal thoughts and observations.
Fort Amanda is locally managed by the Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District.
Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District View Fort Amanda State Park in a larger map
2355 Ada Road
Lima, OH 45801
Handicapped Accessibility: Ohio History Connection strives to meet ADA requirements. However, historic structures and outdoor areas provide challenges that make it difficult to provide complete access to all visitors. Please call the site with specific questions and concerns.
Near Fort Amanda Memorial Park View Northwest in a larger map