The Ohio Historical Society’s Local History Office works closely with Ohio’s smaller local history organizations to provide continuing education, inspiration, and professional development for local historians; administer the Ohio Historical Markers Program; and offer personalized technical and planning assistance.
The Local History Office dates back to the state's sesquicentennial in 1953, which generated avid interest in Ohio history. To provide assistance to blossoming local history groups, the Ohio Historical Society created the job of "Field Representative" and in 1955 began publishing Ohio Local History News. The first statewide conferences for local historians were also held in the 1950s, and the first Ohio Historical Marker was dedicated in 1957, commemorating the history of Akron's Portage Path.
In 1960, the statewide conference featured the first business meeting of the Association of Historical Societies of Ohio, which was later known as the Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums, and is today known as the Ohio Local History Alliance. The Local History Office provides administration, programmatic support, and coordination for this association that serves over 600 local history member institutions.
Today, more than 50 years later, the Local History Office continues to work with history organizations across the state to help Ohioans connect with their own local history.
The Local History Office is located in the Ohio History Center, within 10 minutes of downtown Columbus at the intersection of Interstate 71 and 17th Avenue
Ohio Historical Society
To contact a specific staff member, see LHO Staff.
Local History Office
800 E. 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211
Phone: (614) 297-2340 or (800) 858-6878